To Basket - Ball Fans and Players all around the world,
I am here writing this brief article to express my personal feelings and fear towards this new Island Games that is going to take place next year in Madagascar. Let's me take you back some 5 years before where Mauritius organised the Island Games.At this time, the federation found the the current DTN, who was in Mauritius for
more than 5 years, was not qualified enough and capable of producing the best National Team even though the person have already proved its value and is respected among a majority of players and coach on the island.But for the committee, in which you rarely have a person qualified enough to take such decison, have decided to engaged a new coach from Reunion Island which they say will bring Mauritius Basket - Ball to the top of Indian Ocean level. Great expectations were expected from the new coach and much money was invested on him.
After his duration of contract on the Island, here is what he achieved:
1. Breaking up the solidarity that was present in the team before he came and created several groups apart in the team itself.
2. Change the whole way of play of each players.... but not for the best.
3. Bring several players from outside Mauritius to play in the team as star players to finally found out that they were not even the level of players in the second division here in Mauritius.This was a great loss of money which could have been better used for the preparation of the team.
4. Neglect the Women Team which later, under the supervision of the DTN and a sport coach, won the 3rd place in the game and could have done better if the Reunion Coach was not in charge of the game during the semi finals against .... guess what, Reuinion Island!!!
5. Took off several good players from the team to bring in some new ones. After the game, one of the player which he said was not good enough to be in the team won the MVP award of the league!!!
6. Finally, the National Team which was in a group that consists only of the comores Island, which should have been a team that the National Team should beat, was not able to win a single match in the tournament and end up last.
So, this was one of the worst experience that Mauritius basket - ball have been through in its history. After that, the commitee was dissolved and a new commitee stood up and we all though that the same mistake will never happened again and that we have learned from our mistakes.
But this, with the new committee that have been elected, the same stupid thing can happen again, believe it or not... From the past several weeks, rumours of a new foreign coach for the National Team is moving around and that the new committee will once again take out the DTN from being in charge of the Team and bring a new coach here. In my opinion, how stupid can you be to not recognise that the same error is going to happen again and it is the Mauritius Basket - Ball that is going to pay from it.
Let me make a brief summary of the situation -
To engage a new foreign coach involves:
1. More money to be invested to pay the coach.
2. He does not know the players as well as the current DTN, who have been here for 6 years, knows them.
3. Same all situation brings same all errors.
4. Too little time to change way of training and paying of players as the games is next year.
5. Not the same res